Sunday, October 19, 2008

Tante Dedi's Porkchops with Dill Gravy

When I was seventeen, I spent a summer in Northern Germany. It was my first trip outside North America. I was fortunate enough to spend part of my time with a friend's Great Aunt in her beautiful home called the Hahnheider Hof. She prepared this recipe for us, and took the time to teach it to me (as I spent time learning German from the local children, Silke, Ole, and Jan.) It remains one of my favorites to this day. I cannot prepare it without thinking of her.

Ingredients
4 boneless center-cut pork chops
1 cup flour, seasoned with salt & pepper
1 egg
2 tbs water
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbs butter
1 tbs olive oil
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 tbs fresh dill weed (or 2 tsp dried)
1 tbs corn starch
1 cup sour cream
1 lemon, sliced

Lightly tenderize the pork chops -- I pound them to about 3/4 inch thickness, thinner if I want them to cook faster. Beat the egg with the water and set aside. Dredge the chops in seasoned flour, dip them in the egg mixture, and bread them with the breadcrumbs. Allow them to rest for 5 minutes on a platter. In a large skillet, heat the butter and oil. Brown the chops over medium heat until golden, about 4 minutes per side. (If chops are thick, you may want to finish them in the oven. If thin, skillet cooking will be enough.) Place chops on a heat-proof dish and place in a warm oven. Pour chicken stock into skillet and heat, scraping up any bits left on the cooking surface. Reduce by half. Mix dill, corn starch, and sour cream. Remove pan from the heat and gently whisk in sour cream mixture. Return to the heat and gently heat through until thickened and bubbling.

Squeeze lemon slices over breaded chops and serve with dill gravy on top or on the side. I always prepare boiled potatoes with this dish. Potatoes with this gravy are to die for (even though it is definitely a diet-buster, it is so worth it.)

Enjoy!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: