Friday, July 18, 2008

Saturday French Toast

Saturday is our only true morning with no commitments to the outside world. We celebrate by having what my children call a “Daddy Home Breakfast”. Daddy has chosen this breakfast the last four Saturdays in a row. The addition of sugar and cream give this French Toast a wonderful, glossy, golden look. We serve it with maple or homemade blueberry syrup (see recipe above).

Ingredients:

For the French Toast,
4 eggs
½ tsp salt
1 tbs. Sugar
¼ cup heavy cream
2 cups milk
1 loaf thickly sliced white bread

In a deep, square container (I use Rubbermaid Take-Alongs -- they are the perfect size for the bread) break four eggs. Add salt and sugar and beat with a fork until the egg white is thoroughly broken up. Add cream and milk and beat again, until mixture is thin and pale yellow. Heat non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. One slice at a time, submerge bread in egg mixture for 2-3 seconds, giving custard a chance to penetrate into the bread but removing before the bread gets too soggy to handle. Brown on both sides to a nice golden brown. Remove from pan and place on a plate in a slightly warm oven. Once all French toast is browned, bring the plate to the table and serve piping hot.

Enjoy!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

vicki said...

Gosh, this reminds me of lazy Sunday mornings before I was married! I never got the recipe but this looks really easy. I think I'll try it out and maybe create my own family memory.